Tuesday 29 March 2011

Crystal Stair

This guy knew his shit.

I was introduced to this poem by one of my favorite drive-through customers. I don't know who wrote it, but this dude knew his shit.

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.


This is life, people. Don't you dare sit down, don't you dare quit climbing, or it will never get better. 

Hang on,
Ness

1 comment:

  1. That's Langston Hughes!! http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/177021
    There's lots more great stuff from him. And he knew what he was talking about, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete