Sunday 6 November 2011

It's all fun and games...

...until it happens to you. 

I have to play mommy to myself and look up new movies before I see them to make sure they're ok. It often spoils the plot, but it's the only way to make sure I don't pass out in a movie theatre. 

     My question is this: why is my worst nightmare used consistently to sensationalize movies? 
     Think about it. American History X, The Usual Suspects, Pulp Fiction, The Book Of Eli, I Spit On Your Grave, Hard Candy, and A Clockwork Orange are all movies that I either can't watch, or contain parts that I have to leave the room for. Why? Because what happened to me is condensed and trivialized into a five-minute montage of sensationalism to raise the ratings or make it 'more interesting'. There is absolutely nothing interesting to me about passing out, throwing up, and shaking for hours afterward. There's nothing sensational about being afraid to walk out to my car or having to deal with flashbacks like it's happening all over again. 
    
      It's insensitive, it's rude, it's wrong. This is something that ruined two years of my life and scarred all the rest of them. This is something that damages people for years. It destroys relationships, it destroys souls. It sure as hell didn't improve me like it's improving your movie. It didn't make me more interesting. As a matter of fact, it fucking destroyed me. 

     I'm of the opinion that if you've never experienced it, you shouldn't write about it, sing about it, or act it out. I still can't say that word. 

     Hang on, 
Ness

No comments:

Post a Comment